Sydney Motorway Corporation was established by the NSW Government in 2014 to finance road projects on behalf of Roads and Maritime Services. In just a few years, our business and our capabilities have expanded significantly.
Our goal is to shape a better Sydney by financing, delivering and operating WestConnex – Australia’s largest transport infrastructure project.
When WestConnex is complete, it will provide safer, faster and more reliable travel, and improve the overall experience for road users across Greater Sydney. WestConnex will also enhance livability in our city by delivering over 18 hectares of recreational open space, and improved pedestrian and cyclist links for our communities.
- 2014: SMC established by the NSW Government to arrange financing for the delivery of designated road projects including WestConnex
- 2015: SMC takes over responsibility for procurement and project delivery of WestConnex from WestConnex Delivery Authority, a subsidiary of Roads and Maritime Services. A number of Government functions, such as property acquisition and planning, remain the responsibility of Roads and Maritime Services
- 2015: $1.7 billion financing secured for construction of New M5
- 2016: King Georges Road Interchange Upgrade completed, two months ahead of schedule
- 2016: $1.6 billion financing secured to support delivery of New M4
- 2017: First phase of New M4 – M4 Widening project - opened to traffic
- 2017: NSW Government announces sale of 51% of SMC to fund construction of the M4-M5 Link