Our capabilities and standards
Risk management, quality, and environmental and community programs and systems are integral to the way we do business. We regularly review our policies and procedures to maintain standards, and ensure our systems are operating optimally.
We adhere to best practice across all aspects of our business operations.
- Operations - Sydney Motorway Corporation adopts a holistic approach to business operations to deliver a seamless experience for road users. As our business has grown, we have continued to ensure consistency of outcome from an engineering, technology and functional perspective.
- Finance – Our innovative financing models for the New M4 and New M5 have set several precedents within Australia. We continue to seek cutting-edge finance solutions for the delivery of our projects.
- Project delivery – Agile working is core to our culture, and supports the effective delivery of our projects. Our flexible, collaborative and cross-functional work practices make efficient use of our resources and expertise throughout the business.
- Technology - We have invested in high-grade IT systems to support our growing business. Our software as a service model provides a secure and stable platform upon which to innovate and aligns us to industry best-practice.
Workplace health and safety – The health and safety of our people and communities is paramount. Sydney Motorway Corporation has achieved Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems AS/NZS4801 and OHSAS18001 certification, demonstrating Sydney Motorway Corporation’s management systems meet Australian and International Standards. We have also developed a Heavy Vehicle Standard across WestConnex. This standard is intended to assist operators to meet their heavy vehicle safety requirements on our projects.
- Sustainability - We benchmark our projects against the Infrastructure Sustainability Council of Australia’s (ISCA) rating scheme, which provides a third-party assurance review of a project’s sustainability performance. We also participate in monthly sustainability knowledge sharing workshops to support collaboration between Sydney Motorway Corporation, our principal contractors and Roads and Maritime Services.
- Environmental protection - Sydney Motorway Corporation takes a precautionary approach to caring for our environment. We implement measures to mitigate potential threats even if there is a lack of scientific evidence confirming the risk. We have also invested in project-specific environmental expertise and management systems that advise, guide, monitor and report on the fulfilment of environmental obligations by our contractors and delivery teams.
- Community engagement – Our innovative and inclusive approach to community engagement delivers a unique focus on community advocacy and urban outcomes rather than the traditional road focus. In response to community preference, Sydney Motorway Corporation started engagement activities for the M4-M5 Link 12 months earlier than statutory consultation and included a draft concept design which enabled community feedback to be incorporated early in the process.
- Employer of choice – We strive to make Sydney Motorway Corporation a great place to work. We hire for cultural fit as well as skillset to ensure successful outcomes for the business and employees. We are proud that our staff retention level is above the industry standard.